Becoming a Police Officer
To be eligible to participate in the Police Officer recruiting process, applicants must meet the minimum requirements located in the job description (PDF). You may apply for a Police Officer position when there is an opening advertised on our linked Employment Opportunities page.
- Application for Employment for Police Officer (PDF)
- St. Cloud Patrol Officer Union Contract
- How to Become a Peace Officer in Minnesota
2023 wage range is $33.97 - $47.50/hour. Candidates possessing previous experience will have a starting salary determined by years of service and civil service board rules.
2023 Lateral Pay Steps:
2 Years of Experience = $35.33/hour
3-4 Years of Experience = $36.75/hour
5+ Years of Experience = $38.22/hour
The rejection criteria listed is not intended to be all inclusive. Information relative to any other arrests and subsequent disposition of such shall be evaluated by the St. Cloud Police Department in detail. Factors to be considered are the seriousness of the crime, multiple occurrences of a crime, length of the time between crimes, and when the crime was committed.
- 96 hours paid vacation per year, increases over time
- 8 hours paid sick leave per calendar month
- 12 paid holidays per calendar year
- 1 personal day per calendar year
- Health Flexible Spending Account
- Employer/employee paid pension through PERA
- Employee assistance program
- Longevity pay after five years of service
- Cell phone discounts with participating vendors
- St. Cloud Federal Credit Union deductions
- Deferred compensation plans
- For Police Officers, employer will pay 100% of the monthly premium for single insurance coverage and 90% of the monthly premium for family insurance coverage.
- Community information and benefits package