- You Are Here:
- Departments A-L
- Human Resources
- Fire Department Recruitment
Becoming a Firefighter
Recruitment closed on February 17, 2023. Applicants were emailed on Wednesday, March 1 on the status of their application materials.
- Completed a recognized Firefighter I and II course fulfilling the requirements of the Nation Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 1001 (Must have classroom and practical instruction).
- Current IFSAC Firefighter II Certificate.
- Minnesota Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board (EMSRB) certified Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), or higher.
- Valid Minnesota issued driver's license that is unrestricted except for corrective lenses, or able to attain one by appointment.
- Sample documents of minimum requirements.
How to Apply
- Fire Department Application. Failure to provide the data and documentation required in the supplemental application will result in rejection of the application. Please only include required documentation.
- Applications will be accepted by mail, in person or by emailing one PDF attachment to email@example.com.
I Submitted My Application. What Happens Next?Candidates who successfully meet all requirements will be emailed and invited to the Assessment Center to take a written exam and a job skills assessment. Pending a passing written score, the job skills assessment will include a ladder climb and search scenario. The written exam and job skills assessment will be conducted on Monday, March 20, 2023. Assessments will be held in two sessions, 8:00 am and 1:00 pm, and will be scheduled upon application review.
- Fire Recruitment Announcement (PDF)
- MN Fire Certification Board
- EMSRB Website
- Reciprocity Information
- Rejection Criteria
- Rejection Criteria When a job offer is extended, the candidate will need to successfully pass a psychological evaluation, a back assessment, physical, drug exam, a fitness evaluation, thorough background investigation and job simulation.