Using the Special Pickup Service
The city offers special pickups for disposal of large items such as couches, recliners, mattresses, box springs, carpeting, tables, lumber, etc.
How It Works
- To use this service you must be a city refuse and recycling system customer.
- Special pickups will be scheduled on the same day as your weekly refuse pickup.
- You must call at least one day in advance to schedule a special pickup.
- This service is offered throughout the year.
- There is no limit to the number of special pickups that you may schedule.
- Items to be picked up should be set out along with your weekly refuse; the truck that picks up your weekly refuse will also pick up your special pickup items.
- Items should be bagged, boxed or bundled and stacked neatly and placed at your regular refuse pickup location by 6 a.m. the day of the scheduled pickup.
- Garbage cans and other containers will not be emptied. All small items must be contained in bags, boxes or bundles not to exceed 50 pounds in weight. If material is contained in a garbage can, the can will be taken. Small items that are not contained may not be picked up.
- Do not use green city refuse bags for this service.
The minimum fee for a special pickup is $20 plus tax. Up to 2 cubic yards of material may be disposed of for this price (a 2 cubic yard pile measures 3 feet by 3 feet by 6 feet). An additional fee of $10 plus tax will be charged for each additional cubic yard of material collected.
Acceptable & Non-Acceptable Items
Items that can be picked up include but are not limited to:
- Carpet and padding (rolled 4 feet x 1 foot in diameter)
- Chairs and recliners
- Doors (shower, patio, storm, etc.)
- Grills (propane tank removed)
- Lumber (in lengths 4 feet or shorter)
- Mattresses and box springs
Twin mattress/box spring set = 2 yards
Full mattress/box spring set = 2 yards
Queen mattress/box spring set = 3 yards
King mattress/box spring set = 4 yards
- Sheet rock
- Vacuum cleaners
- Electronic products (computers, printers, fax machines, TVs, radios, stereos, VCRs, DVD players, etc.)
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Lawn mowers
- Major appliances (microwaves, washers, dryers, air conditioners, etc)
- Paint and household hazardous materials
- Propane tanks
- Snow blowers
- Treated wood
For More Information
If you have questions, or to arrange a special pick-up, contact the Public Works Department at 320-650-2900, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.