Road Construction Projects
Every year the City of St. Cloud adopts a Capital Improvements Program to identify potential future projects.
A year prior to proposed construction in a neighborhood, the city holds an informal public informational meeting. The Engineering Department staff provides an overview of the proposed improvements. The residents have an opportunity to ask questions and provide their input regarding the need for the improvements, the scope of the project or raise a particular point of concern. After receiving the feedback from residents at the informational meeting, Engineering staff prepares a report and cost estimate for the project and forwards this to the City Council for their review. The City Council then schedules a public hearing to consider the merits of the proposed improvements.
Current Projects - 2023
The following projects have been ordered by the City Council to be accomplished in 2023.
The City will be resurfacing approximately 15 miles of bituminous streets in 2023.
The project includes reconstructing Cooper Avenue South from 22nd Street South to University Drive South to an urban type roadway with curb and gutter and a bicycle lane in each direction. Sidewalk will be extended through this corridor, along with street lighting. The sanitary sewer and water main along Cooper Avenue South from CSAH 75/Roosevelt Road to 22nd Street South will be replaced, and a new storm sewer system installed. In conjunction with the project, a new 24” transmission water main will be extended along Cooper Avenue South from University Drive to Allendale Drive. Additionally, the signalized intersection at Cooper Avenue South and CSAH 75/Roosevelt Road will be reconfigured with the project to improve traffic flow.
The project includes reconstructing Wilson Avenue from Highway 23 to approximately 300 feet north of 1st Street NE, including approximately 500 feet east on 1st Street NE. This project includes sidewalks, sanitary sewer, water main and storm drain utilities.
The project includes replacement of sanitary sewer, water main, storm drain, street, curb and gutter, sidewalk and street lighting along St. Germain Street West from 10th to 12th Avenue and along 11th Avenue North from St. Germain Street West to 1st Street North.
MnDOT is the lead agency for this project which will be constructed during 2023 and 2024. This project will:
- Reconstruct the Highway 10 and 23 interchange area:
- Rebuild the Highway 23 bridge(s) over Highway 10
- Reconfigure on/off ramps to improve motorist traffic flow and safety
- Reconstruct both directions of Highway 10 between 15th Avenue SE and Benton Drive, includes turn lanes, shoulders and entrances
- Reconstruct both directions of Highway 23 from east of Wilson Avenue SE near the pedestrian overpass to east of Benton County Road 1, includes turn lanes, shoulders and entrances
- Update signal systems at Highway 23 and Lincoln Avenue; Highway 10 and E St. Germain Street; and Highway 23 and Division Street E/14th Avenue SE
- Construct a noise wall along the south side of Highway 23 and east of 14th Avenue SE
- Replace or repair underground drainage structures and city utilities
- Construct a new City of St. Cloud Fourth Street SE bridge to span Highway 10 and connect the east and west Highway 10 frontage roads
- Update and provide safer pedestrian and bicyclist crossings and trails/walks within the area
For more information and to sign-up for construction email updates, visit the St. Cloud interchange project webpage at www.mndot.gov/d3/stc.