Water Meter Upgrade Project
St. Cloud is continuing the Water Meter Upgrade Project. Notices to schedule replacements will be sent to residents in the mail.
Water Meter Upgrade Project
The City is upgrading all water meters. The new metering system will provide real time information for water use improving your ability to use water wisely.
The new system will transmit readings multiple times each day and transmit error codes that will help to identify leaks or other problems to increase customer service.
There is no cost for the replacement, but you are required to have your water meter replaced.
To install the new water meter:
- Ferguson Waterworks will need to access to the meter inside your home or business.
- The water meter area should be clear and accessible.
- An adult 18 years old or older must be present at the time of installation.
A two-hour block of time will be scheduled. The installer will complete the meter installation work within the two-hour time frame. The installation should take approximately one hour.
Ferguson Waterworks was selected based on their experience as a meter installation contractor.
All installers will have identification, wear uniforms, travel in marked vehicles and have completed background checks.
This is a four-year project with expected completion in 2024. The City of St. Cloud and Ferguson Waterworks thank you in advance for your cooperation in making this a successful program.
Scheduling Your Meter Replacement
Please do not schedule an appointment until you have received the notice in the mail.
The city will be divided into zones with installations focused in one area for efficiency. Ferguson Waterworks will begin to schedule appointments in in early June. Notifications will be sent by US Postal Service to each address in the current zone. Appointments must be scheduled within two weeks of receiving the notice.
Appointments will be scheduled through the city's contractor, Ferguson Waterworks.
Call for an appointment: 1-855-848-2836
Visit the website: www.fergusonscheduling.com
Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request
City water account owners will receive the following notices:
1. Notice to Schedule Appointment
If an appointment has not been made within two weeks of the first notice, a second notice will be mailed to the account owner's address.
2. 2nd Notice to Schedule Appointment
If an appointment still has not been made within two weeks of the second notice, a third notice will be mailed.
3. 3rd Notice to Schedule Appointment
The third letter will be a reminder to schedule your appointment within five days. To avoid further notices, please schedule your appointment when you receive the third notice. There is no charge for this replacement service.
We recognize that some vulnerable residents may wish to have a St. Cloud Public Utilities staff member to replace their water meter instead of a third-party contractor. Please contact St. Cloud Public Utilities at 320-255-7225 to make arrangements.
What should I expect when my meter is changed?
Roughly 30-90 minutes to change out the meter and transmitter (depending on accessibility and condition of the pipe joints). The visit will be more efficient if you find your meter and clear out a three ft. space around it.
Coronavirus Related Health and Safety Precautions
Ferguson continues to follow CDC and Minnesota Department of Health guidance and works closely with St. Cloud Public Utilities to ensure all required preventive steps are being followed. Effective immediately, Ferguson has implemented the following safety measures as it relates to interacting with customers during installation:
- Install associates will not enter a home or business where there is a sick individual present.
- Protective face masks, hand sanitizer and gloves will be worn by install associates while in your home.
- Install associates will follow a step-by-step guide on the disinfection of vehicles between appointments.
- Ferguson associates will maintain the six-feet minimum for social distancing; this means they will not shake hands. While questions and interest in the process is appreciated and welcomed, please allow associates six feet of space to perform the required installation.
- Ferguson have implemented a policy to reduce the use of shared phones, desks, offices, or other tools and equipment when possible. Tools and equipment needed for installations are disinfected between visits.
- Installation customers will no longer be required to sign for the work completed. A new proof-of-installation process that does not require a signature has been implemented.
No Personal information about your account is transmitted at any time because the water meter does not contain any data related to your account.
The central data collectors receive the water meter readings and it is sent to the City's server using an encrypted data link. The readings are stored in the City's Utility Billing database where it is linked to your account and your bill is calculated.
An advantage of the new system is more information regarding water use and the existing drive-by system can be used as a back up to ensure that readings are current and accurate every billing cycle.