Before 1956, sewage in the City of St. Cloud was not treated. All wastewater from homes and businesses was dumped directly to the Mississippi River without treatment. The City of St. Cloud's first wastewater treatment facility was constructed in 1956 and was located near 4th Avenue South.
In 1972, the federal Clean Water Act allowed for funding to be
distributed to communities to build wastewater treatment facilities to
protect the health of the nation's waterways.
Today, the wastewater treatment facility is located in south St. Cloud and services the area communities including St. Augusta, St. Joseph, Sartell, Sauk Rapids, and Waite Park.
The wastewater treatment facility has received many awards for pollution prevention.
1976 Environmental Quality Award
1982 Grand Award for Effluent Heat Recovery System